Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"To Tell The TRUTH"



This kid looks like he should to be the TV show
"TO TELL THE TRUTH"

Growing up in the small town of Decatur, GA.
I spent many days roaming downtown Decatur, GA. visiting all the stores, the hobby shop to buy model cars, F.W. Woolworth 5 & 10 cent store for a toy, even eat lunch at the counter and order toasted chopped ham sandwich and a coca-cola, then pop a balloon to try and get a free banana split, then play around the Court House, then go to the show at The Decatur Theatre and get a box of popcorn and a coke & candy bar.
Then watch a double feature movie.
Afterwards head home pretending I was the star of the movie I just watched and at the same time hand out movie flyers for The Decatur Theatre ( a part time job that paid me two free passes).
Then cutting through Belk-Gallant store getting my polaroid picture taken, to give to my parents so it would make them want to buy a camera, and it did, but my Dad bought one, but not from Belks, then on my walk home I would cut through Agnes Scott College to look at the girls, then arrive at my home on E. Davis St. just in time to watch Superman.

signed
Dennis Whitefield

Will the real Dennis Whitefield please stand up.



Panelists Orson Bean, Tom Poston and Kitty Carlisle and others along with bow-tied host Bud Collier in the original To Tell the Truth were perfectly cast to make this simple show work. I wonder which one would have guessed me.


Photo circa 1962

No comments: