Saturday, July 26, 2008

Memories of The Emory Theatre & Jones Pharmacy

Here are some great memories of someone who use to live in Decatur.
I just wanted to share it with you all.
Be sure to read comments.

I went to the Emory Theater, especially for Sat. morning cartoons, from when I was old enough (moved to the area in 1943) to when we moved to Decatur in the Fall of 1949. (We then moved to Tucson, Arizona, in 1950.) We lived near Druid Hills School, where I went from the first grade til the beginning of the 5th. Anyway, we generally walked down, except when we could persuade our parents to drive us. I remember, after paying my 12 cents on Sat. mornings, being reprimanded by theater staff for putting my legs over the back of the seat in front of me, as I watched Mighty Mouse, et al. The Decatur and DeKalb were more expensive--14 cents! :-0 We went there at other times of the week, but I mainly remember those great times on Saturdays. We (my brothers and sister and I) were down there some afternoons during the week, taking dance lessons at Mrs. Bagwell's, on the same side of the street. I remember walking by Jones Pharmacy on the way from home---great ice cream treats! I went into the other pharmacy, located at the corner of the Emory complex, near the gas station, as I remember, but I just mainly looked at magazines in there. Jones Pharmacy, by the firehouse, was my favorite. I'll have to let my older brother know about this site; he would remember more.

posted by William Carroll on Jul 26, 2008 at 7:07pm

William, those are some good memories you have, I grew up in Decatur but we always went to the Decatur Theatre, I was there all the time in the 60's, Saturdays were always fun. My brother worked at the concession stand so whenever I would go to the snack bar he would give me the box of popcorn that had the free pass to the theatre,
I worked there but I just handed out flyers of the movie playing or the ones coming soon.
I got paid with 2 free passes.
So I always went free most of the time.

1 comment:

William Carroll said...

Hi, Dennis----Glad you enjoyed my little trip down Emory Lane. ;-) You asked me to talk a little about Decatur, but my family lived in Decatur (on Mockingbird Lane) in a newly built house, from Fall 1949 until the beginning of Summer 1950. I mainly remember going to the 5th grade at Ponce de Leon School; my older brother was two grades ahead and played for the football team. Purple and gold were the school colors, same as one of my jr. highs in Tucson, Arizona, where we moved. Very little in the way of memories, except that I put on a one "man" show at school----I was Johnny Appleseed, and i thought I would NEVER memorize the play! Went well, though.
Once again, my older brother would remember more. Plus, he stopped by Mockingbird Lane, Princeton Way (nr Druid Hills), and the cemetery where our maternal grandparents are buried, off the street that connects from---what? North Decatur Rd? ---on a trip he and his wife took earlier this year, from Minn. to Fla. Called me in California about 7 a.m. on a Saturday, asking me what was our address on Mockingbird Lane. They were driving and were about 30 miles north of Atlanta. Well, I happened to have on my desk a sheet of paper which gave it, so I astonished him. ;-7 I vaguely remembered the two theaters and the square they were by. Got a pair of jeans and a suit at a store there. We four kids were taken by our grandmother's cook on a jitney ride that ended in front of one of the theaters---I never could remember which was which. Too bad my Mom passed away years ago; she went to Agnes Scott for awhile. I'll let you know if anything else emerges from the mists of my mind's past.