Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Trackside Tavern Damaged by Fire this Morning.


This is very sad news to learn.
I just took this picture last week.
See photo of damage over at Indecatur

read more about it over at Decatur Metro

see more photo at Ali Laipple's Photos facebook


Here is AJC Story
Fire destroys Trackside Tavern in Decatur
Neighboring 5th Earl Market damaged

By TY TAGAMI

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A fire consumed a business and shut down traffic along a thoroughfare through Decatur Tuesday, but caused no serious injury.

The Decatur Fire Department responded at 5:25 a.m. to a blaze at East College Avenue and South Candler Street, and closed the intersection as the fire consumed the roof of a bar in the low-slung commercial strip.

“We had heavy fire coming through the roof when the first engine pulled up,” said Fire Chief Jerry Malone. The intersection remained closed Tuesday morningas commuters tried to get into or around Decatur.

One business, the Trackside Tavern, was destroyed. A sandwich shop next door, the 5th Earl Market, suffered smoke damage, he said. Investigators were still looking into the cause of the fire Tuesday afternoon. One firefighter bruised his arm and leg when he slipped on ice from the fire hoses in the bitter cold, but the injuries were not serious enough for hospital treatment, Malone said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried when I saw this. I was there two nights ago, on the 18th. I took my friend from out of town there twice last week; it was the last place we went before he went home yesterday. I met so many cool people there, had so many fun times. It stayed open later than any other bar in Atlanta (to my knowledge). I first messed around with the boy I love there, in his car in the parking lot. It’s a terrible tragedy and I hope it can be rebuilt…

Jessica Porter